We are thrilled to announce that ‘As You Like It’, the second edition of our Gerald Kraak Anthology of African perspectives on gender, social justice, and sexuality, has won the 2019Lambda Literary Award for an anthology.
The Other Foundation, in partnership with the Diakonia Council of Churches, and the Durban Lesbian and Gay Community Health Centre invites you to attend our religion convening, Breaking through the Backlash: Transformative Encounters Between LGBTI People and Churches in Africa.
The third Gerald Kraak anthology, Heart of the Matter, is out. Congratulations to OluTimehin Adegbeye, whose essay, ‘Mothers and Men’, made her this year’s worthy winner. Submissions for the next Gerald Kraak anthology and prize are open all year.
15 peer reviewers selected from across southern Africa have made recommendations to our board about which of the grant applications we received should receive funding. With backgrounds in religion, business, human rights, the arts, and community organizing, this class of 2019 will ensure that our grantmaking continues to be informed, smart and impactful.
Thank you for your active involvement in our community this year. With your support, we have cast a wider and deeper net to help build a movement of activism across southern Africa – from Luanda in Angola to Port Louis in Mauritius, and from Mzuzu in Malawi to Cape Town in South Africa.
The Other Foundation partners with Facebook on its inaugural South Africa NGO Day, aimed at bringing together local NGO communities in a day of learning and networking.
Many are calling kopano – Accelerating Change, the best LGBTI convening of all time. Couldn’t attend? No sweat! We captured on video all the plenaries, key outcomes and all around magic for you to watch.
Estimating the value of the pink Rand is critical in building the case for more advances in getting the private sector to move faster in opening space for the LGBTI community, and creating safe spaces in cities and workspaces.
A public debate is raging about how churches can spread homophobic hatred, or promote respect and inclusion based on the equal dignity of every person. Our new report, Silent no longer!, examines the types of engagement churches have with homosexual men and women, and transgender and intersex people in southern Africa.
Homophobia has become a site of painful struggle in the churches, in much the same way as slavery, racism and sexism was in the past. When faith does violence, a new reflection paper by African Christian scholars, reflects on how churches can become liberating rather than oppressive, redemptive rather than violent towards homosexual women and men, and transgender and intersex people in Africa.
All ten country reports in our Canaries In The Coal Mines studies are now available. What is the state of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex organizing and social inclusion, in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe?
There is a general belief that African people are deeply homophobic and unaccepting of gender diversities. But what does the African public really think? The truth is that we don’t really know because hardly any work has been done to gather and analyze the views of the public in a structured way in Africa. Until now.
- Spearfishing World Freediver's Low Volume Mask
- YogaCapris708SpaceDyeWhite XSmall ODODOS Power Flex Yoga Capris Pants Tummy Control Workout Running 4 Way Stretch Yoga
- Easter Bunny 5 Casual Daypack Travel Bag College School Backpack for Mens and Women
- BIRDBOX Youth Sportswear Barcelona Coutinho 7 Kids Home Soccer Jersey Shorts Bag Keychain Football Socks Set
- 3dpink wb_41726_1 Adorable Girl With Doll n Dollhouse Sports Water Bottle, 21 oz, White
- Outdoor Sport Personal Water Filter Good for Travel & Backpacking
- Msr Ultralight Utility Cord 10M
- Winter Ski Hat Snowboard Winter Ski Skating Skullies CAPS Hats Beanies Warm for Men Woman 04, One Size
- Cathedral Peak CO topo map, 1 24000 Scale, 7.5 X 7.5 Minute, Historical, 2001, Updated 2004, 26.8 x 21.8 in
- MP3 Player with blueeetooth, EKOOS Portable Digital Touch Button Metal Music Player 8GB with screen, student MP3 with FM Radio Voice Recorder Pedometer Text Reading with Backlight for Sport Running Supports up to 64GB
- BBQ Supplies Barbecue Charcoal Barbecue Adjustable Grill, Portable Desk Chrome Steel BBQ Grill for Outdoor Cooking Camping Hiking Picnics
- Fincos Oil Filter for Kawasaki 160971064 160971067 160971066 160971063 Honda 15410MM5003 15410MM9013 15410MM9405
- Official Karrimor Ridge WTX Walking shoes Mens Hiking Footwear Boots
- (Size 42, blueee) Killtec Women's's Brinley Ski Jacket in Down Look with ZipOff Hood and Snow Catcher
- Outdoor Laptop Shoulder Bag Fashion Trend Bag Simple Casual Computer Bag Personality Travel Backpack White, Edition B
- GLJ 0.35 Mm Environmentally Friendly Odorless NonSlip Flat Support Thick Printed Rubber Yoga Mat Yoga mat
- Pirates Of The Caribbean Basic Figure Wave 2 QAR Zombie
- JackCubeDesign 20 Baseball Display Case Wall Mount Leather Cabinet Wood Shelf Sports Storage Acrylic Cover Rack with Predection 2 Knob(14.2 x 3.9 x 18 inches) – MK104
- NCAA Florida Gators Embossed Aluminum Team color Vanity G8R FAN License Plate
- YFFSS Pushup Bar Fitness NonSlip Exercise Chest Muscle HBracketWorkout for Home Gym&Traveling FitnessGreat for Your Muscle Ups,Pull Ups&Strength Training
- Attwood Double Braid Dockline, Black
- Large NZNB Bikini - Fashion Women's Swimwear Small Fresh Hanging Neck Bikini Sexy Split Green Bikini Swimsuit -753 Bikini (Size L)
- Sundek Men's Long-Length Board Shorts Dark Green
- Tung Flamingo Yoga Mat Advanced Yoga Mat NonSlip Lining Easy to Clean LatexFree Lightweight and Durable Long 180 Width 61cm
- TOKYO MARUI Thompson M1A1 190R Magazine
- AC85V250V 110V 220V 1CH Wireless Relay Remote Control Light Switch Remote Power Light Switches ; Receiver + 4 X Transmitter (color 315Mhz)
- Aiweijia Men Winter Fashion Sneakers Keep Warm Lacing High help Casual shoes
- FadeCase Huntsman Elite Fixed Blade Tactical Knife Collectible Skins Variation
- 2m3m Tarps Thickened Poncho Tarpaulin Sunscreen Insulation Tarpaulin Outdoor Shade Cloth Tarpaulin Truck Tarpaulin Canvas (Size 2m3m)
- Women Suede Ankle Boots 2018 Autumn New Comfortable HighHeel Walking Boots Large Size 4043
- Fincos CARPRIE Marine Boat RV 4 Gang Waterproof Rocker Switch Panel W Led Indicator Breakers Apr13 APR16 (Brand New)
- Mott50 Women's Franny Athletic Dresses
- Soffe Boys Training Short Shorts
- Redfield Revolution 39x40mm 4Plex by Redfield
- LSpace Women's Gypsy Fringe One Piece
- Spanish Potentiometer PT105K PT10 5K 10K Horizontal Hexagonal Hole Resistance Complete Switch
Everyone should be free to live a safe and dignified life, have a family and make their contribution to society. The Other Foundation works to change the views, practices and institutions that prevent people – because of who they are or who they love – from being able to do that in southern Africa. We gather support for those who are working to protect and advance the rights, wellbeing and social inclusion of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities – and we give support in a smart way that helps groups to work better for lasting change.
The Other Foundation is an African trust dedicated to advancing human rights in 3x3m Gazebo Outdoor Pop Up Tent Folding Marquee Party Camping Shade Canopy-blueeE, with a particular focus on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people. Our primary purpose is to expand resources available to defend and advance the rights and well-being of LGBTI people in the Southern African region. We do this by working both as a grant-maker and a fundraiser. Read our full mission statement here. The Atlantic Philanthropies has provided a generous start-up grant over a five-year period to cover all operational costs, subject to the Foundation being able to raise additional funds from other sources. Sturdy Primary School Student Backpack for Girls Waterproof Schoolbag Large Capacity (color blueee 1, Size One Size)
The Foundation is pleased to announce the outcomes of its inaugural round of grant making. The Foundation allocated 32 grants, totaling around ZAR3.1 million, for work that will advance the rights and improve the well-being of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. Organisations and individuals were given grants ranging from ZAR10,000 to ZAR500,000. Click here to see a full list of grants that were allocated. The Other Foundation wanted its first grant making initiative to be a truly transparent and participatory process. Rather than consider grant proposals entirely on its own, the foundation’s board asked the public to nominate a panel of peer reviewers to help review and assess grant applications. The 12 peer reviewers chosen formed a diverse group from six countries in southern Africa. They worked in four teams, each facilitated by a board member, to decide which projects to recommend for funding. This gave meaningful expression to the identity of The Other Foundation as an LGBTI community foundation. Click here to see who the peer reviewers were in the grant making process.Click Maxcatch 3-12wt Medium-Fast Action Premier Fly Rod-IM8 Carbon Blank for High Performance,with AA Cork Grip Hard Chromed Guides and Cordura Tube to see a report about the development, implementation, and outcomes of this unique grant making process. The report will be of interest to foundations and philanthropists interested in more accountable and transparent ways of making grants.
The funds for the pilot grant-making initiative have come from personal gifts from 18 individual donors who visited South Africa early in 2014 to find out more about the amazing work that activists are doing to defend and advance the rights of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. The Atlantic Philanthropies matched the funds raised from this donor tour, providing The Other Foundation with close to ZAR4 million to give out as small grants to individuals and organisations across Southern Africa. A range of fundraising initiatives were launched in 2014. All funds that are raised will go to programming and grant-making as our operational costs are fully covered by the Atlantic Philanthropies for the next five years.
We would love to hear from you if you have any questions or comments. Pendant Lights 3 Lamp Head White Home Modern Simplicity Bar Home Decoration Lighting (18 × 18cm) Please contact us either by email, phone, or letter. Nitecore MT22A 260 Lumens Flashlight -CREE XP-G2 S3 LED
Human rights activist with a legal background. Active in church groups that promote greater understanding of diversity and human rights in a multi-cultural context.
Counseling psychologist and senior psychology lecturer. Former director of the transformation and employment equity office of Wits University.
Educationalist interested in the use of new technologies and a leadership coach. Technical support director in the South African government’s basic education department.
Economist, policy researcher, and entrepreneur with a corporate and investment banking background. Print media columnist on social and economic development issues.
Project management and programming specialist with a background in women’s and human rights of sexual minorities background. Co-founder of the Women’s Alliance for Equality.
Print, radio and television journalist with a strong commitment to amplifying the concerns of women. Media freedom activist.
Miguel de Brito
Mozambican human rights activist. Instrumental in setting up Mozambique’s leading LGBTI organisation. Democracy and governance specialist with a focus on electoral systems.
Organisational development, monitoring and evaluation, and project design specialist. Researcher and consultant on philanthropy development.
Co-founder of Arquivo de Identidade Angolano (the Angolan Identity Archive). Technical advisor on projects working to overcome stigma and discrimination in the provision of health services.
African philanthropy development practitioner, experienced grant maker, economic justice activist, and civil society strategist with a track record in establishing successful organisations. Chief executive officer of The Other Foundation.
The Other Foundation is grateful for the support it has received from