We are thrilled to announce that ‘As You Like It’, the second edition of our Gerald Kraak Anthology of African perspectives on gender, social justice, and sexuality, has won the 2019Lambda Literary Award for an anthology.
The Other Foundation, in partnership with the Diakonia Council of Churches, and the Durban Lesbian and Gay Community Health Centre invites you to attend our religion convening, Breaking through the Backlash: Transformative Encounters Between LGBTI People and Churches in Africa.
The third Gerald Kraak anthology, Heart of the Matter, is out. Congratulations to OluTimehin Adegbeye, whose essay, ‘Mothers and Men’, made her this year’s worthy winner. Submissions for the next Gerald Kraak anthology and prize are open all year.
15 peer reviewers selected from across southern Africa have made recommendations to our board about which of the grant applications we received should receive funding. With backgrounds in religion, business, human rights, the arts, and community organizing, this class of 2019 will ensure that our grantmaking continues to be informed, smart and impactful.
Thank you for your active involvement in our community this year. With your support, we have cast a wider and deeper net to help build a movement of activism across southern Africa – from Luanda in Angola to Port Louis in Mauritius, and from Mzuzu in Malawi to Cape Town in South Africa.
The Other Foundation partners with Facebook on its inaugural South Africa NGO Day, aimed at bringing together local NGO communities in a day of learning and networking.
Many are calling kopano – Accelerating Change, the best LGBTI convening of all time. Couldn’t attend? No sweat! We captured on video all the plenaries, key outcomes and all around magic for you to watch.
Estimating the value of the pink Rand is critical in building the case for more advances in getting the private sector to move faster in opening space for the LGBTI community, and creating safe spaces in cities and workspaces.
A public debate is raging about how churches can spread homophobic hatred, or promote respect and inclusion based on the equal dignity of every person. Our new report, Silent no longer!, examines the types of engagement churches have with homosexual men and women, and transgender and intersex people in southern Africa.
Homophobia has become a site of painful struggle in the churches, in much the same way as slavery, racism and sexism was in the past. When faith does violence, a new reflection paper by African Christian scholars, reflects on how churches can become liberating rather than oppressive, redemptive rather than violent towards homosexual women and men, and transgender and intersex people in Africa.
All ten country reports in our Canaries In The Coal Mines studies are now available. What is the state of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex organizing and social inclusion, in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe?
There is a general belief that African people are deeply homophobic and unaccepting of gender diversities. But what does the African public really think? The truth is that we don’t really know because hardly any work has been done to gather and analyze the views of the public in a structured way in Africa. Until now.
- Women Fashion Backpacks Girls Casual Travel Waterproof School Backpack Female Backpack AntiTheft Daypack (color Black)
- 2 Person Outdoor Tent Windproof, Lightweight, RainProof Breathability Double Layered Camping Tent 3000 mm for Climbing Beach Camping Hiking Caving,A
- NORVISE FLY TYING BOBBIN KIT by NorVise
- Fashion Solid color Backpack Male Business Laptop Bag Travel Backpack
- Jinsheng Smart Watch Works with iOS and Android System. Calories Burned Message Reminder Call Reminder Casual Watch Pedometer Activity Tracker
- gold's Gym Olympic-Sized Spring Collar Clips
- Evergreen (EVERGREEN) metal jig lure kicker Frog 5.8cm 13.5g black bone 619
- Outdoor Lounger Air Sofa Chairs (20 Seconds Fast Inflated) Light and Easy to Carry -Prefect for CampingTravelPicnicPool Sleeping Inflatable Bag Bed (With Waterproof Carrying Bag) (watermelon)
- Santa Claus Adult Costume Standard
- Tour blueee XLarge NCAA Mens Short Sleeve Pencil Stripe Forge Polo
- BIG SM EXTREME SPORTSWEAR Ragtop Rag Top Sweater TShirt Bodybuilding 3203
- color-15 One_Size Backpack for Adults Hiking Lightweight Gaming Canvas Lion Drinking Water
- DAVO 10841 Luxus Briefmarkenalbum Niederl. übersee VI
- Trademark Global NBA Framed Logo Mirror Fade Los Angeles Lakers NBA1500LAL2
- Shady Brook NM topo map, 1 24000 Scale, 7.5 X 7.5 Minute, Historical, 1995, Updated 1997, 26.9 x 22.1 in
- 90pcs Black Plastic Screw Mounts Saddles Bases Cable Tie Cradle Holder
- FOXPRO Furtaker 7 Tier Lanyard
- Mr. Jack in New York
- JEORDIE'S Men's 130621GREY Grey Wool Polo Shirt
- Brunswick Tzone Patriot Blaze Bowling Ball
- Small Mesh Folding Chair Portable Outdoor Student Painting Sketch Chair Oxford Cloth Leisure Fishing Chair JINRONG (color Black)
- (A1, Black) VERUS Gladius II BJJ GI Jiu Jitsu MMA Grappling Uniform No GI Wear
- GLJ 0.35 Mm Environmental Predection NonSlip High Temperature Sports Thickening Printing Fashion Rubber Yoga Mat Yoga mat
- Union blueee Scott Stevens Snowboard Bindings
- PUMA Men's It Evotrg Track Jacket
- Jintime Women Men Robe Winter Flannel Lengthened Plush Towel Shawl Bathrobe Dressing Gown Bath Unisex Home Solid color Plush Robe Coat
- ZhaoabaoAU Men Casual Solid Pocket Zipper Stand Collar Long Sleeve Jacket
- Bloomerang Forest Party Messeger Handbags Women Retro Messeger Handbag Female Vintage Crossbody Bags Ladies Crossbody Bag 24 color G
- Metra 1995 - 2010 Ford(R) Lincoln(R) Mercury(R) Mazda(R) Double-Din Multi Kit Product Category Inssizetion Accessories Wiring Harnesses
- New Riding Backpack 15L Water Bag Bag Fashion Cross-Country Hiking Bag Splash-Proof Mountaineering Running Bag
- (FR XS (size Fabricant XS), h tarmac) Millet LD Tahoe Stretch Hoodie Jacket Women, women's, LD TAHOE STRETCH HOODIE
- Kid Bike 16 Inch with Detachable Training Wheels Bicycle High Carbon Steel Frame for 95125 cm
- SALOMON Mens Sense Marin Trail Runner
- DC Black Control Snowboard Boots
- Atledpro Mother of Cats Gildan 18500 Unisex Heavy Blend Hooded Sweatshirt
- SG431608485XL Storm Guide Bib Stone & Taupe XLarge
- Bloomerang VEISK gold Bag Women Leather Handbags Female Fahsion Big Crossbody Bags for Women Pu Leather Top-Hand Tote Bag Sac A Main color gold
- Fashion Men's Athletic 2017 Merry Christmas Print Soft & Cozy Drawstring Hooded Without Pocket Hooded Sweatshirt White
- QHP Mens Jack Riding Breeches
- Water Sports shoes Barefoot QuickDry Aqua Yoga Socks Slip for Men Women Breathable Swimming Beach Sport (2 Pairs),blueee,XXXL
- Black and White Christmas Light Monochrome Round ECO Aqua Power Kinematic Iyengar Kundini Hot Pilates Gymnastics Hatha Yoga Mat Exercise Mat
- 15PCS Set Portable Size Emergency Survival Bag Outdoor Camping Travel Car First Aid Bag First Aid Medical Bag Survival Kit Set Australia
- 8 Long Hand Forged skining Knife, 4 Full Tang Hand Forged Damascus Steel Blade, pink Wood with Brass Bolster, Cow Hide Leather Sheath
- Hasegawa 10694 1 200 Solassed Air B737400, Combo Kit
- Union Force Snowboard Bindings Mens
Everyone should be free to live a safe and dignified life, have a family and make their contribution to society. The Other Foundation works to change the views, practices and institutions that prevent people – because of who they are or who they love – from being able to do that in southern Africa. We gather support for those who are working to protect and advance the rights, wellbeing and social inclusion of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities – and we give support in a smart way that helps groups to work better for lasting change.
The Other Foundation is an African trust dedicated to advancing human rights in Yoga Mat Non Slip 24 X 71 Exercise Mats Black Dandelion Premium Fitness Pilates Carrying Strap, with a particular focus on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people. Our primary purpose is to expand resources available to defend and advance the rights and well-being of LGBTI people in the Southern African region. We do this by working both as a grant-maker and a fundraiser. Read our full mission statement here. The Atlantic Philanthropies has provided a generous start-up grant over a five-year period to cover all operational costs, subject to the Foundation being able to raise additional funds from other sources. Dycarfell Men's Leather Belt cowhide length is adjustable Delicate gift box
The Foundation is pleased to announce the outcomes of its inaugural round of grant making. The Foundation allocated 32 grants, totaling around ZAR3.1 million, for work that will advance the rights and improve the well-being of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. Organisations and individuals were given grants ranging from ZAR10,000 to ZAR500,000. Click here to see a full list of grants that were allocated. The Other Foundation wanted its first grant making initiative to be a truly transparent and participatory process. Rather than consider grant proposals entirely on its own, the foundation’s board asked the public to nominate a panel of peer reviewers to help review and assess grant applications. The 12 peer reviewers chosen formed a diverse group from six countries in southern Africa. They worked in four teams, each facilitated by a board member, to decide which projects to recommend for funding. This gave meaningful expression to the identity of The Other Foundation as an LGBTI community foundation. Click here to see who the peer reviewers were in the grant making process.Click Whages White Tree Beside Seashore NonSlip Soft Advanced Printed Environmental Yoga Mat 31.5 × 51.2 to see a report about the development, implementation, and outcomes of this unique grant making process. The report will be of interest to foundations and philanthropists interested in more accountable and transparent ways of making grants.
The funds for the pilot grant-making initiative have come from personal gifts from 18 individual donors who visited South Africa early in 2014 to find out more about the amazing work that activists are doing to defend and advance the rights of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. The Atlantic Philanthropies matched the funds raised from this donor tour, providing The Other Foundation with close to ZAR4 million to give out as small grants to individuals and organisations across Southern Africa. A range of fundraising initiatives were launched in 2014. All funds that are raised will go to programming and grant-making as our operational costs are fully covered by the Atlantic Philanthropies for the next five years.
We would love to hear from you if you have any questions or comments. LSpace Women's Gypsy Fringe One Piece Please contact us either by email, phone, or letter. Red Festnight Garden Sofa Set Swimming Pool Large Garden Sunbed for Sunbathing and Family Party Poly Rattan
Human rights activist with a legal background. Active in church groups that promote greater understanding of diversity and human rights in a multi-cultural context.
Counseling psychologist and senior psychology lecturer. Former director of the transformation and employment equity office of Wits University.
Educationalist interested in the use of new technologies and a leadership coach. Technical support director in the South African government’s basic education department.
Economist, policy researcher, and entrepreneur with a corporate and investment banking background. Print media columnist on social and economic development issues.
Project management and programming specialist with a background in women’s and human rights of sexual minorities background. Co-founder of the Women’s Alliance for Equality.
Print, radio and television journalist with a strong commitment to amplifying the concerns of women. Media freedom activist.
Miguel de Brito
Mozambican human rights activist. Instrumental in setting up Mozambique’s leading LGBTI organisation. Democracy and governance specialist with a focus on electoral systems.
Organisational development, monitoring and evaluation, and project design specialist. Researcher and consultant on philanthropy development.
Co-founder of Arquivo de Identidade Angolano (the Angolan Identity Archive). Technical advisor on projects working to overcome stigma and discrimination in the provision of health services.
African philanthropy development practitioner, experienced grant maker, economic justice activist, and civil society strategist with a track record in establishing successful organisations. Chief executive officer of The Other Foundation.
The Other Foundation is grateful for the support it has received from