We are thrilled to announce that ‘As You Like It’, the second edition of our Gerald Kraak Anthology of African perspectives on gender, social justice, and sexuality, has won the 2019Lambda Literary Award for an anthology.
The Other Foundation, in partnership with the Diakonia Council of Churches, and the Durban Lesbian and Gay Community Health Centre invites you to attend our religion convening, Breaking through the Backlash: Transformative Encounters Between LGBTI People and Churches in Africa.
The third Gerald Kraak anthology, Heart of the Matter, is out. Congratulations to OluTimehin Adegbeye, whose essay, ‘Mothers and Men’, made her this year’s worthy winner. Submissions for the next Gerald Kraak anthology and prize are open all year.
15 peer reviewers selected from across southern Africa have made recommendations to our board about which of the grant applications we received should receive funding. With backgrounds in religion, business, human rights, the arts, and community organizing, this class of 2019 will ensure that our grantmaking continues to be informed, smart and impactful.
Thank you for your active involvement in our community this year. With your support, we have cast a wider and deeper net to help build a movement of activism across southern Africa – from Luanda in Angola to Port Louis in Mauritius, and from Mzuzu in Malawi to Cape Town in South Africa.
The Other Foundation partners with Facebook on its inaugural South Africa NGO Day, aimed at bringing together local NGO communities in a day of learning and networking.
Many are calling kopano – Accelerating Change, the best LGBTI convening of all time. Couldn’t attend? No sweat! We captured on video all the plenaries, key outcomes and all around magic for you to watch.
Estimating the value of the pink Rand is critical in building the case for more advances in getting the private sector to move faster in opening space for the LGBTI community, and creating safe spaces in cities and workspaces.
A public debate is raging about how churches can spread homophobic hatred, or promote respect and inclusion based on the equal dignity of every person. Our new report, Silent no longer!, examines the types of engagement churches have with homosexual men and women, and transgender and intersex people in southern Africa.
Homophobia has become a site of painful struggle in the churches, in much the same way as slavery, racism and sexism was in the past. When faith does violence, a new reflection paper by African Christian scholars, reflects on how churches can become liberating rather than oppressive, redemptive rather than violent towards homosexual women and men, and transgender and intersex people in Africa.
All ten country reports in our Canaries In The Coal Mines studies are now available. What is the state of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex organizing and social inclusion, in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe?
There is a general belief that African people are deeply homophobic and unaccepting of gender diversities. But what does the African public really think? The truth is that we don’t really know because hardly any work has been done to gather and analyze the views of the public in a structured way in Africa. Until now.
- FLA Orthopedics 7588804 ProLite 3D Knee Support White& 44; Large
- GEOPONICS Portable Spinning Boat Fishing Reel Wheel Metal Handle LJ3000LJ9000 Series ALS88 color 5000 Spool Capacity 5000 Series
- Camping Cooking Sets Portable Camping Pot and Pan Aluminum 4 Pot Set Hiking Outdoor Cookware 57 People (color Black)
- Hat Trick Openers 5in1 Divot Tool Kentucky Matt Silver
- Women Fashion Bags Famous Brand Ladies Denim Handbag blueee Crossbody Bag for Women Casual Motorcycle Bag Title
- LR308 .308 Stainless Steel Thread Predector 5 8x24 Pitch .936
- Split Swimsuit, Ladies Bikini, Pool Party Bra Bikini Retro, with Chest Pad, Suitable for Swimming,Green,M
- W&P Women Metal Baguette Evening Bag
- Seeland Clayton Shirt Ivy Green Check
- HAWEEL Fitness Tracker HR, i6HRC 0.96 inch color Screen blueeetooth 4.2 Smart Bracelet, IP67 Waterproof, Support Sports Mode Heart Rate Monitor Sleep Monitor Information Reminder Sedentary Remin
- (12 D(M) US, Aluminum Sunset Glow Ht Lv Blk) Nike Men's Lebron XII Basketball shoes
- Bison Designs Full Grain Water Buffalo Leather 32mm Standard Leather Belt with Dull Silver Buckle (Black 42-Inch Waist)
- SkelettAnzug für Kinder 104122cm
- AGOWOO Womens Leather Ankle Strap Beach Hiking Sandals
- 2000 NFL Starting Lineup Hobby Edition Darren Woodson Dallas Cowboys by Starting Line Up
- Logos (LOGOS) ceramic pizza plate (diameter 32.5cm) 81062170
- GREEN Thickness 8mm Beginner Yoga Mat with Tote Bag Sports Mat NonSlip High Density Material TPE Suitable for Pilates Fitness Ideal as Camping Mat183x61cm Thickness 6 8mm
- GAIGAI Loop Folding Bicycle Quick Adjustable Exercise Single Speed, Lightweight Carbon Steel Firm Tire Solid Frame, 3 color, 3 Size, with Tools
- Haflinger Womens UnisexAdult GZ Classic Grizzly Gz
- Navy blueee US Large pujinggeCA Men Two Piece Set Fall Hooded Sport Zipper Up Relaxed Fit Sweatsuit
- Schutt Pittsburgh Pirates Mini Football Helmet
- Pearl iZUMi Women's Pursuit Long Sleeve Shirt
- Dfdffrfrwqq Ukrainian Paint Flag Men's Active Basic Athletic Skinny Track Pants
- Tgoldnto Maple Leafs 1990s 8 Player Autographed Mass Replica Hockey Jersey
- Sterling Silver LogoArt Official Licensed Collegiate 7in Penn State University (PSU) Small Center Leather Bracelet
- StableKit Folding Pole Saddle Rack
- RUIMA Outdoor Travel Waterproof Light Travel Mountaineering Bag Student Sports Leisure Bag Men and Women Large Capacity Backpack (color Style F)
- Paladineer Men Outdoor Sports Large Capacity Hiking Backpack Traveling Backpack-Ideal for Hiking, Camping, Climbing, Traveling, Running, Cycling, Exercising or Other Outdoor Activities 40L
- Zicac Mens Outdoor Photography Camping Hunting Fishing Vest Multipocket Nylon Cotton Waistcoat Jacket Bodywarmer Camo GiletBlack - UK S (Asia Tag M)
- Helly Hansen Mens Conrad-M Conrad-m
- Sturdy Fashian Female Handbag Motorcycle Handbag Wild Messenger Handbag Hand Shoulder Leather Handbag Mini Ladies Handbag Travel Tour Easy to Carry Large Capacity (color Green)
- Paul Chen Practical Plus Katan
- Backpack Leisure Bag Travel Bag Handbag Shoulder Bags, Trendy Versatile Casual Fashion Soft Leather AntiTheft, 2 colors Optional CONGMING (color Brown, Size 31 11 32cm)
- Festive Props Devil Female Ghost Scary Scary Mask
- blueee HUO yoga mats Profession Yoga Mat, Body Alignment System, Natural Rubber Soft Tear Resistant, Thicken Fitness Dance Pilates Mats
- LIU JO Women's C19255T2315U9120 Green Polyester Pants
- HOMYL 4 Pieces 28KN D Shape Rock Climbing Hiking Auto Locking Carabiner Rappelling Aerial Work Red
- Buff Hat Wool 1 layer Denim
- Fashion and Leisure Pink and Red Glazed Donut Backpack Leisure Travel School Backpack
- Xubox Bike Cover All Season Waterproof Sun Bike Cover Oxford Dust & AntiUV Outdoor Bicycle Predector with Safety Lock Hole for Mountain & Road Bikes Small Motorcycles Baby Strollers Sliver
- ABR Spider 3D Alloy Short Stem 31.8 x 65mm,Bike Stem for Freeride MTB BMX,Black
- Shade Cloth, Waterproof Rainproof Heavy Duty Tarpaulin Trap Ground Sheet Covers Shed Cloth Thicken PE Sunscreen Tent Splice Awning Sun Shade Visor Outdoor InsulationGreen,150G M2 (Size 4 8m)
- Ski Goggles Anti 100% UV Predection, DoubleLayer Spherical Lenses AntiFog and Windproof for Men Women Youth,d
- CAP Barbell Short Adjustable Weighted Vest
- Osprey Packs Fairview 55 Women's Travel Backpack
Everyone should be free to live a safe and dignified life, have a family and make their contribution to society. The Other Foundation works to change the views, practices and institutions that prevent people – because of who they are or who they love – from being able to do that in southern Africa. We gather support for those who are working to protect and advance the rights, wellbeing and social inclusion of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities – and we give support in a smart way that helps groups to work better for lasting change.
The Other Foundation is an African trust dedicated to advancing human rights in Pink Dot XLarge(US L) TOGIC Comfortable Women Bikini High Waist Swimsuit Polka Dot Swimwear 2 Pieces, with a particular focus on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people. Our primary purpose is to expand resources available to defend and advance the rights and well-being of LGBTI people in the Southern African region. We do this by working both as a grant-maker and a fundraiser. Read our full mission statement here. The Atlantic Philanthropies has provided a generous start-up grant over a five-year period to cover all operational costs, subject to the Foundation being able to raise additional funds from other sources. BLACKYELLOW 14 Mizuno Samurai Youth Chest Predector
The Foundation is pleased to announce the outcomes of its inaugural round of grant making. The Foundation allocated 32 grants, totaling around ZAR3.1 million, for work that will advance the rights and improve the well-being of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. Organisations and individuals were given grants ranging from ZAR10,000 to ZAR500,000. Click here to see a full list of grants that were allocated. The Other Foundation wanted its first grant making initiative to be a truly transparent and participatory process. Rather than consider grant proposals entirely on its own, the foundation’s board asked the public to nominate a panel of peer reviewers to help review and assess grant applications. The 12 peer reviewers chosen formed a diverse group from six countries in southern Africa. They worked in four teams, each facilitated by a board member, to decide which projects to recommend for funding. This gave meaningful expression to the identity of The Other Foundation as an LGBTI community foundation. Click here to see who the peer reviewers were in the grant making process.Click Ruiyue Swim Goggles, Large Frame Waterproof FogProof Conjoined for Men Women to see a report about the development, implementation, and outcomes of this unique grant making process. The report will be of interest to foundations and philanthropists interested in more accountable and transparent ways of making grants.
The funds for the pilot grant-making initiative have come from personal gifts from 18 individual donors who visited South Africa early in 2014 to find out more about the amazing work that activists are doing to defend and advance the rights of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. The Atlantic Philanthropies matched the funds raised from this donor tour, providing The Other Foundation with close to ZAR4 million to give out as small grants to individuals and organisations across Southern Africa. A range of fundraising initiatives were launched in 2014. All funds that are raised will go to programming and grant-making as our operational costs are fully covered by the Atlantic Philanthropies for the next five years.
We would love to hear from you if you have any questions or comments. CRYYU Men color Block 2 Pcs Outfits Casual Sport Zip Front Hooded Tracksuits Please contact us either by email, phone, or letter. HHHSSS Long 70inch Wide 28inch Non Slip Tropical Green Palm Leaves Exercise Mat for Yoga, Workout, Fitness with Carrying Strap & Bag
Human rights activist with a legal background. Active in church groups that promote greater understanding of diversity and human rights in a multi-cultural context.
Counseling psychologist and senior psychology lecturer. Former director of the transformation and employment equity office of Wits University.
Educationalist interested in the use of new technologies and a leadership coach. Technical support director in the South African government’s basic education department.
Economist, policy researcher, and entrepreneur with a corporate and investment banking background. Print media columnist on social and economic development issues.
Project management and programming specialist with a background in women’s and human rights of sexual minorities background. Co-founder of the Women’s Alliance for Equality.
Print, radio and television journalist with a strong commitment to amplifying the concerns of women. Media freedom activist.
Miguel de Brito
Mozambican human rights activist. Instrumental in setting up Mozambique’s leading LGBTI organisation. Democracy and governance specialist with a focus on electoral systems.
Organisational development, monitoring and evaluation, and project design specialist. Researcher and consultant on philanthropy development.
Co-founder of Arquivo de Identidade Angolano (the Angolan Identity Archive). Technical advisor on projects working to overcome stigma and discrimination in the provision of health services.
African philanthropy development practitioner, experienced grant maker, economic justice activist, and civil society strategist with a track record in establishing successful organisations. Chief executive officer of The Other Foundation.
The Other Foundation is grateful for the support it has received from