We are thrilled to announce that ‘As You Like It’, the second edition of our Gerald Kraak Anthology of African perspectives on gender, social justice, and sexuality, has won the 2019Lambda Literary Award for an anthology.
The Other Foundation, in partnership with the Diakonia Council of Churches, and the Durban Lesbian and Gay Community Health Centre invites you to attend our religion convening, Breaking through the Backlash: Transformative Encounters Between LGBTI People and Churches in Africa.
The third Gerald Kraak anthology, Heart of the Matter, is out. Congratulations to OluTimehin Adegbeye, whose essay, ‘Mothers and Men’, made her this year’s worthy winner. Submissions for the next Gerald Kraak anthology and prize are open all year.
15 peer reviewers selected from across southern Africa have made recommendations to our board about which of the grant applications we received should receive funding. With backgrounds in religion, business, human rights, the arts, and community organizing, this class of 2019 will ensure that our grantmaking continues to be informed, smart and impactful.
Thank you for your active involvement in our community this year. With your support, we have cast a wider and deeper net to help build a movement of activism across southern Africa – from Luanda in Angola to Port Louis in Mauritius, and from Mzuzu in Malawi to Cape Town in South Africa.
The Other Foundation partners with Facebook on its inaugural South Africa NGO Day, aimed at bringing together local NGO communities in a day of learning and networking.
Many are calling kopano – Accelerating Change, the best LGBTI convening of all time. Couldn’t attend? No sweat! We captured on video all the plenaries, key outcomes and all around magic for you to watch.
Estimating the value of the pink Rand is critical in building the case for more advances in getting the private sector to move faster in opening space for the LGBTI community, and creating safe spaces in cities and workspaces.
A public debate is raging about how churches can spread homophobic hatred, or promote respect and inclusion based on the equal dignity of every person. Our new report, Silent no longer!, examines the types of engagement churches have with homosexual men and women, and transgender and intersex people in southern Africa.
Homophobia has become a site of painful struggle in the churches, in much the same way as slavery, racism and sexism was in the past. When faith does violence, a new reflection paper by African Christian scholars, reflects on how churches can become liberating rather than oppressive, redemptive rather than violent towards homosexual women and men, and transgender and intersex people in Africa.
All ten country reports in our Canaries In The Coal Mines studies are now available. What is the state of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex organizing and social inclusion, in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe?
There is a general belief that African people are deeply homophobic and unaccepting of gender diversities. But what does the African public really think? The truth is that we don’t really know because hardly any work has been done to gather and analyze the views of the public in a structured way in Africa. Until now.
- Sunlite Pillar Suspension Seat Post, Silver
- Haoyushangmao Hat, Fashion Dome Baseball Cap, Outdoor Sports Cap, Black White PU Appearance 17 7.5CM, Perimeter 5659CM, The for Friends and Family Excellent Quality
- Axial SCX10 II Upgrade Parts (AX90046) Steel+Aluminum Front+Rear Center Shaft 1 Set blueee
- Dance & Gymnastics Mats Exercise Mats Beginner Yoga Blanket Yoga mat Woman widening Thick Yoga mat Long NonSlip Exercise mat Fitness Exercise mat Slip Exercise mat
- New Selle SMP Triathlon Bicycle Saddle Seat T3 Yellow Fluo. Made in
- Daiwa (Daiwa) horse mackerel worm Ajingu Mebaringu EPIPHYLLUM OXYPETALUM beam 2 inches HotarukiriRa clear lure
- Wall Art Living Room Home Decor Printed Pictures 5 Piece Pcs Lake Sunset Dusk Landscape Modern HD Frame Canvas Painting Poster
- Ladies Handbag Bags Bulk Stylish Simple Ladies Briefcases Bags (color Red, Size One Size)
- LED Horse Tack Breast Collar,Best High Visibility Tack for Horseback Riding,Adjustable, Sturdy & Comfortable,USB Rechargeable
- LEGO City 60174 Bergpolizei Hauptquartier Cooles Kinderspielzeug & City 60172 Bergpolizei Verfolgungsjagd auf Schotterpisten, Unterhaltungsspielzeug
- Nasir Ali Aluminium Chainmail Shirt Butted Aluminum Chain Mail Haubergeon Medieval Medium
- color&W Men RelaxedFit StraightLeg Activewear Plus Size Cotton Sweatpants
- NCAA Women's Tess Long Sleeve Ombre Football Tee
- Daiwa (Daiwa) For Lures Minnow solandri sagosi- 95S gingiragin
- Adidas NMD XR1 PK S32218
- Surface Lock. Distribution Cabinet Cabinet Lock, Cabinet Lock, Mechanical Equipment Lock ms818 (color Black)
- PilyQ Womens WAT001T Waterlily Fringe Tunic Cover Up Swimwear CoverUps
- Brand Size 31 DONDUP Men's MCBI34147 Beige Cotton Pants
- Effective Stainless Steel Door Handle Mortise Lock with Cylinder and Keys
- AAMOUISE Baseball Cap British net Casual Logo of The car Behind a Magic Label and can be Adjusted Correctly in Size (Unisex)
- Fuel Gas Tank Carburetor for Briggs & Stratton 499809 092502 092508
- BMY 7 colors Palm Han3D Led Night Light Acrylic Lamp Touch Switch Novelty Lighting USB Lamp Table Lamp
- 1 pack Belgium, 2018 Football Home Jersey, ShortSleeved Football Uniform Team Uniform Male Adult Training Suit, 19,Soccer Game
- Outdoor Camping Resistant To Moisture Oxford Cloth Picnic Blanket Beach Cover Foldable 210 150cm,orange
- Background with Christmas Bells Bow and Snowflake Pattern Portable and Foldable Blanket Mat 60x78 Inch Handy Mat for Camping Picnic Beach Indoor Outdoor Travel
- Autographed Philip Rivers Mini Helmet BAS Beckett COA 223 Beckett Authentication Autographed NFL Mini Helmets
- Mogogo Men's Spring Autumn Full-Zip Casual Long-Sleeve Classic Two Pieces Tracksuits
- Toggle Switch KN-1121 ON-ON 3 Screw 2 Position 250VAC 15A E-TEN1121
- Ben Sherman Mens BG19S13535 Flag Print Swim Trunk Swim Trunks
- Bridal Veil Falls UT topo map, 1 24000 Scale, 7.5 X 7.5 Minute, Historical, 1998, Updated 2000, 26.6 x 21.8 in
- Grip Type Rope Lock Patent New Product Cable Lock Cable Lock High Strength Nylon Stainless Steel Cable Hand Telescopic BDl02
- YANZHEN Tarpaulin Rainproof UV Blocking Seal Windproof Insulation Resistant to Tear Window Polyethylene, Multiple Sizes (color Clear, Size 5x6M)
- Denix Replica Gun That Fired The Shot Heard Around The World Non Firing Gun
- FSE-05H crimping tool crimping plier for coaxial cable CRIMPING PLIER multi tool tools hands EUROP STYLE FSE-05H
- NCAA unisex NCAA Hailmary Youth Size Football
- Zhuotop Portable LED Camping Lantern USB Rechargeable Outdoor Waterproof Searchlight Multi-Function Adjustable Flashlight Light 2600mAh Mobile Power Lamp
Everyone should be free to live a safe and dignified life, have a family and make their contribution to society. The Other Foundation works to change the views, practices and institutions that prevent people – because of who they are or who they love – from being able to do that in southern Africa. We gather support for those who are working to protect and advance the rights, wellbeing and social inclusion of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities – and we give support in a smart way that helps groups to work better for lasting change.
The Other Foundation is an African trust dedicated to advancing human rights in Cormoran (CORMORAN) lure acorn mouse 110N homing Tiger, with a particular focus on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people. Our primary purpose is to expand resources available to defend and advance the rights and well-being of LGBTI people in the Southern African region. We do this by working both as a grant-maker and a fundraiser. Read our full mission statement here. The Atlantic Philanthropies has provided a generous start-up grant over a five-year period to cover all operational costs, subject to the Foundation being able to raise additional funds from other sources. Horseware Rambo Stable Sheet 66 Navy White
The Foundation is pleased to announce the outcomes of its inaugural round of grant making. The Foundation allocated 32 grants, totaling around ZAR3.1 million, for work that will advance the rights and improve the well-being of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. Organisations and individuals were given grants ranging from ZAR10,000 to ZAR500,000. Click here to see a full list of grants that were allocated. The Other Foundation wanted its first grant making initiative to be a truly transparent and participatory process. Rather than consider grant proposals entirely on its own, the foundation’s board asked the public to nominate a panel of peer reviewers to help review and assess grant applications. The 12 peer reviewers chosen formed a diverse group from six countries in southern Africa. They worked in four teams, each facilitated by a board member, to decide which projects to recommend for funding. This gave meaningful expression to the identity of The Other Foundation as an LGBTI community foundation. Click here to see who the peer reviewers were in the grant making process.Click MogogoMen Pure color 2 Piece Linen Button Retro Sport Sweat Suit Set to see a report about the development, implementation, and outcomes of this unique grant making process. The report will be of interest to foundations and philanthropists interested in more accountable and transparent ways of making grants.
The funds for the pilot grant-making initiative have come from personal gifts from 18 individual donors who visited South Africa early in 2014 to find out more about the amazing work that activists are doing to defend and advance the rights of LGBTI people in Southern Africa. The Atlantic Philanthropies matched the funds raised from this donor tour, providing The Other Foundation with close to ZAR4 million to give out as small grants to individuals and organisations across Southern Africa. A range of fundraising initiatives were launched in 2014. All funds that are raised will go to programming and grant-making as our operational costs are fully covered by the Atlantic Philanthropies for the next five years.
We would love to hear from you if you have any questions or comments. Smart Bracelet Heart Rate Blood Pressure Monitoring blueeetooth Connection Large Screen Waterproof Sports Information Push Watch wuJIAN (Size Pink) Please contact us either by email, phone, or letter. Mydaily Double Layer Ingreened Umbrella Cars Reverse Umbrella colorful Flower Floral Hello Summer Windproof UV Proof Travel Outdoor Umbrella
Human rights activist with a legal background. Active in church groups that promote greater understanding of diversity and human rights in a multi-cultural context.
Counseling psychologist and senior psychology lecturer. Former director of the transformation and employment equity office of Wits University.
Educationalist interested in the use of new technologies and a leadership coach. Technical support director in the South African government’s basic education department.
Economist, policy researcher, and entrepreneur with a corporate and investment banking background. Print media columnist on social and economic development issues.
Project management and programming specialist with a background in women’s and human rights of sexual minorities background. Co-founder of the Women’s Alliance for Equality.
Print, radio and television journalist with a strong commitment to amplifying the concerns of women. Media freedom activist.
Miguel de Brito
Mozambican human rights activist. Instrumental in setting up Mozambique’s leading LGBTI organisation. Democracy and governance specialist with a focus on electoral systems.
Organisational development, monitoring and evaluation, and project design specialist. Researcher and consultant on philanthropy development.
Co-founder of Arquivo de Identidade Angolano (the Angolan Identity Archive). Technical advisor on projects working to overcome stigma and discrimination in the provision of health services.
African philanthropy development practitioner, experienced grant maker, economic justice activist, and civil society strategist with a track record in establishing successful organisations. Chief executive officer of The Other Foundation.
The Other Foundation is grateful for the support it has received from